Saturday, February 18, 2012

stuff

Life is full of choices and sometimes, it's really hard to pick something. The problem is, not choosing, is also a choice. It took me a long time to realize that... to realize that I chose to enter the corporate world, by default and lack of doing something else. I can look back on it now, and realize that I chose it, because it was easy, because it offered me good money and sometimes, because I enjoyed it. But that joy was shallow and evaporated quickly in the myriad of jobs I held. I know that nothing I ever did in the corporate world, really felt like I made a difference to anything but my pocketbook, and ironically - I started to realize it doesn't even make a difference there.

People get so worried about money. Why? Because lack of it can trap you - hold you hostage and make your life into something you don't want it to be. But what people don't realize is having money can do the same thing. It can cause you to make obligations that then you are required to have money for, and then you are held hostage and accountable and you can't leave that money you're making and you're trapped doing what you do.

I had a hard time choosing what to do in life, and I still struggle, because there are so many things I'd like to do. It's sometimes hard to know what I actually will, or will not enjoy. I'm tempted by easy exits, and cash.

So here's the important part of what I have to say. Choose something. Actively think about what you want to do and choose it. It doesn't matter if it's the "bestest" most important thing to you. Pick what makes sense to you and just do it.

Because if you don't, if you let life push you around and take you where it will with it's tide and flow, you don't know where you'll end up. But it's likely not to be where you wanted. It may be just floating under the hot sun, being berated and treated like crap for a pittance. Don't be driftwood, be a canoe - because when you are in charge, you can always change direction. And the experience and strength you gain from paddling, will put you that much further ahead, even if you decide to change course later

No comments:

Post a Comment